Thursday, March 03, 2005

Yesterday I went to the Saturn dealership in Huntsville to have the front end of my car realigned. The day before I replaced the 2 front tires which were wearing unevenly so Jon thought it would be a good idea. I had some time to kill so I went to a nearby bookstore and wandered a bit.

I found the book the counselor suggested. I have all ready ordered it from Amazon, but I went ahead and ripped through it at the book store. Many things in "The Introvert Advantage" were quite interesting, and I was surprised by the amount of things I read that applied to me. I get exhausted if I'm around people all day (like at the drop zone) and that is a big indicator of introverts. What I didn't know is that introverts work off of their long term memory and have problems coming up with snap answers to anything immediately because it takes them longer to access the information they need. I thought I just had a problem communicating. God knows Jon gets frustrated when he asks me a question and I don't say anything for a while.

Introverts tend to be able to express themselves clearer when writing as opposed to speaking. Ha! They tend to have meltdown in high pressure situations around a lot of people and sometimes go completely blank. Ho! And of course, introverts need "me time" or they get really cranky. Hee!

It had a section about people involved in high-risk activities, like skydiving. According to statistics, extroverts outnumber introverts 3 to 1. In skydiving I'd say it's more like 20 to 1. I can't remember exactly why, but it involves brain chemistry.

My car was ready to go before I could really absorb any of the advice the book had on coping with the extrovert world, but I did realize how much I tried to work against my own nature, thinking something was wrong with me.

In other news, a few weeks ago Jon became upset because he has gained a good deal of weight since I became pregnant. Many dads-to-be do, of course. I don't think it's caused by any sympathetic or mystical connection - moms tend to cook, mom is eating like a horse so makes a buttload of food, dad eats whatever's in front of him.

So I promised to help him, by setting him up on a fairly simple don't-eat-so-much diet. I make all of his food, and he consults me when he has to eat out. Of course I think he should know what a sensible choice is by now, but I realize it's easier for him when he has someone else making most of his eating decisions for him.

Today he realized he's all ready lost 6 pounds, which put him in a good mood. Having him in a good mood is so worth the extra work. He tends to forget that when I met him and fell in love with him he weighed more than he does now (hi, honey!), but I want him to be happy with himself.

I figure I can help him drop at least 20 pounds before the baby arrives, then after a month or so of chaos I'll be jumping on the bandwagon to lose this incredible ass I've gained. And I'll probably weigh as much as he does!

1 comment:

Anonymous Me said...

Sounds like a great book! Have you ever read Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady? In the part about her childhood, she has some absolutely hilarious comments about being an introvert growing up in an extraverted world. She described her introverted father this way: he had such internal resources that he could commit folie a deux all by himself.