Wednesday, March 09, 2005

I made enough arroz con pollo to feed half the Caribbean. Therefore I doubt I will be making anything for dinner tonight. Well, maybe some more cornbread. I have enough cornmeal and buttermilk for that.

Arroz con Pollo:

1 Onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
2 small sweet green peppers (forget the name) diced
2 slices of ham, diced
Olive oil

Brown chicken in a little olive oil a few pieces at a time. Take out of the pot (big heavy dutch oven is best). Saute all of the ingredients above until softened.

1 can Ro-tel diced tomatoes and peppers, drained (save liquid)
4 cups liquid (including ro-tel). Water or chicken stock or combo
2 cups long grain rice (most caribbean recipes use a medium grain but I like long grain. The water proportions are different take note)
2 packets sazon Goya (or 1 tablespoon of cumin and turmeric)
(Optional) 1 small can of tomato sauce

Add rice and stir a bit to coat grains. Then add chicken back, the can of Ro-Tel, and the liquid. Stir just a little, then bring to a boil.

Once boiling clamp lid on, put fire to low, wait 15 minutes. Open lid, gently turn rice from bottom to top, clamp lid on again for another 15 minutes. Then take off heat, add some green olives, and leave alone for yet another 10 minutes. Some people like to add capers and peas here, too; I don't.

That's it. And it is not arroz con pollo according to gospel! This is my recipe that I have adapted over a long time! So there.

American Idol is boring without someone to watch it with (namely my honey). You need someone to share snarky comments. I'm still rooting for Bo, by the way.

No comments: