Monday, February 14, 2005

Week 23

I had a great weekend, even though my chili didn't even place (whaa!). Oh, well. This way people know that the contest isn't fixed and it gives me impetus to refine my recipe for next year.

Sunday was rainy so I spent it at the drop zone reading The DaVinci Code, which was surprisingly enjoyable. Dan Brown's take on the Holy Grail reminded me of some of Tim Powers books, where he did extensive research and weaves facts and historical accounts into his stories. Brown isn't that good of a writer, but he did crack a fun yarn.

Powers, on the other hand, wrote a trio of books that I simply adore: The Anubis Gates, a time-travel story; On Stranger Tides (my favorite) with Pirates, Voodoo, and zombies; and The Stress of Her Regard about vampires (intensely original vampires, I might add) and 29th century Romantic poets.

The few people at the drop zone were pretty astounded because I finished a 400+ page book in a little under 6 hours. It's not like I was reading a treatise on thorax surgery! Reading for pleasure is such a lost skill. I don't read very much any more for pleasure, although I *do* forsee many Dr. Seuss books in the future...

I have 2 new reviews up, and I should have a 3rd up either today or tommorrow.

No comments: