Monday, January 03, 2005

Week 18
Wow. 2 more weeks and I'll be halfway there.

Today I'm going in for an ob/gyn checkup; I don't know if my amniocentesis results will be in but they should be. It's been 2 weeks. A friend lent me her copy of What to Expect the First Year which shall be my waiting room reading material of choice today. I have skimmed through some of it and this book seems to be on the side of "let baby do what he/she wants or you'll destroy his/her self-esteem". Granted, a new-born can't do much anyway but cry, eat, sleep, and poop. Holy mackarel, there's a lot of contradictory advice and vehement opinions out there on how to raise your child. I think I'll just give up and let the cats raise him.

I'm just thinking about all the kids I see run rampant in restaurants, theaters, and other public places. I just don't understand how disciplining a 1 to 2-year-old monster is going to ruin his self-esteem. The big question is *how* to discipline something that can't completely understand what you are doing. Yikes I have a lot of reading to do.

It's a damn shame I can't do to the kid what I do to Big Fat Kitty. When he gets caught in the bathroom destroying toilet tissue, I get a spray bottle w/water and hit him with a few squirts. Someday he's going to figure out that it's not acid but in the meantime this form of discipline also provides a few cruel laughs. It doesn't work on Vasquez, but she never does anything bad anyway.

No comments: