Saturday, January 01, 2005

Happy New Year!

The following is part of a modified email I sent Nancy. It pretty much covers the last little bit of 2004 that I wish to record for posterity or until the server crashes.

I had a bad scare Thursday. I felt okay in the morning, so I helped Jon assemble a weightlifting set (a christmas present). I got so winded I couldn't get my breath back. I tried for a long time to get control but about 9pm I asked Jon to drive me into Decatur to the emergency room. I described it to the emergency room doc as 'running a marathon then smoking an entire carton of cigarettes all at once'.

I received a bunch of treatments and was able to sleep well Thursday night. Yesterday I was okay as long as I took it easy. I irritated my bronchial passages so bad it has aggravated my coughing and any time I stand up and move around I start coughing bad. I can breathe though.

Let me tell about something else that happened Thursday night before I gave up and went to the emergency room: Jon had some friends over and one couple has an 18 month old toddler who has never really seen a cat up close.

Big Fat Kitty of course fled the scene, but when Vasquez saw the little girl (who was staring hard at her) she walked over, gave her that 'are you going to pet me or what?' look, and started nonchalantly cleaning her paws. I went over to Summer and explained that the cat wouldn't hurt her and showed her how to gently pet the kitty.

She gave kitty 2 tenuous pats, and Vasquez started purring and bumped her head against Summer's legs. The look of delighted astonishment on Summer's face was so sweet! This activity went on for about 10 minutes (pet-pet -- bump. pet-pet -- bump). It was fun to watch. Both Summer's mom and I were watching closely because Summer is rambunctious and I was afraid that if she did any tail pulling Vasquez might demonstrate that five of a cat's six ends are pointy. But they got along
great.

Vasquez is so old (going to be 20 this year) I'm afraid she won't be around when Mini-Jon arrives. That makes me sad. I couldn't have asked for a better kitty.

Friday I slept as much as I could, then I went to the drop zone about 4pm after picking up 100 chicken wings at Zaxby's for the annual DZ party. I did fine but occasionally I had to run to the bathroom because I was coughing so bad I was afraid I was going to piss myself. One other woman was there; a girlfiend of a jumper and we were coughing in stereo. Turns out she's pregant too! She's at 11 weeks. I hope her and her jumper can keep it together for the baby's sake.

Every new year's a group of jumpers jump at midnight and this year was no different. Despite predicted rain and cloudy skies the cieling was above 12,000 feet and broken and the moon came out just about jump time. I did my traditional thing; I met Jon in the landing area when he landed (him looking cool as always) and handed him a refreshing alcoholic beverage, we smooched, and I told him "Happy New Beer!" I also had a glass of champagne. Hey! Just one! Don't look at me like that!

Do I have any resolutions? A few: be as good to myself as possible for Mini-Jon's sake (and Jon's and mine), and to work hard on getting back into shape once the baby arrives. I have been blogging for more than a year; I hope to keep it up but make it more entertaining.

Oh! My latest review: Mystery Science Theater 3000 volume 6. I'm reviewing Troy next.

No comments: