Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Since I'm at home all week I don't really have an excuse for not posting. Just know I'm sitting here in my jammies sipping coffee.

I have just finished submitting my latest review. Links to follow.

In other what-I'm-watching news, Jon and I watched Collateral, a movie about a hitman (Tom Cruise) who hires a decent but underachieving taxi driver (Jamie Foxx) to drive him around town one night. Unfortunately for the driver he doesn't realize he's driving this psycho from hit to hit. I enjoyed it and it was nice to see Cruise play against type. Jamie Foxx did a great job at portraying an ordinairy joe who finds himself in a truly difficult circumstance. I was surprised to see that Michael Mann directed this movie. He tends to be all style and no substance but for the most part he let the story drive the movie for him.

We also watched Confessions of a Dangerous Mind which is Chuck Barris's somewhat psychotic biography. Chuck Barris was the creator of such shows as The Newlywed Game, The Dating Game, and the immortal Gong Show, which he also hosted. He was also, according to this movie, an assassin for the CIA. Yeah, okay. This movie was nowhere near as good as it could have been, predominantly because Barris is an immensely unlikable character. Sam Rockwell does a dead-on impression of this schmuck.

I watched an episode of a British TV series, "A Touch of Frost". Frost is a police detective; an older gentleman who is not well educated and very old school. The episode I watched, "Deep Waters", was so-so and not enough to make me watch this show again although I liked the Character of Frost. So why did I watch it? Damian Lewis in Speedos, enough said.

Okay, not enough said. It's been a while since I've droned on about my favorite redhead so feel free to bail now. The episode was about 90 minutes long and I was getting annoyed at about the 60 minute mark because he had been in the show for a grand total of 30 seconds. My patience was rewarded by a semi-lenghthy questioning session by Frost where Lewis gets to wear nothing but said Speedos. He's as pale as any redhead, and he has about 210 ribs. He defines lanky. He was being questioned about a college murder; later on Frost tails him one night and we finally see him completely dried off and I must say back then he had wonderfully long hair (this episode was shot in 1996, the year after I saw him in "Hamlet"). I think he looks better now. He's definitely a much better actor now. Still, it was worth it to me to rent. There's been such a Damian Drought I'm seriously contemplating watching Dreamcatcher again.

Okay, you can come back now. I won't spoil 24 for Nancy's sake, all I will say is certain plot lines were resolved and season 3 is better than season 2. Season 1 is still the best; I have good hopes for season 4 and I hope the producers will eventually realize that they can have a great story and not involve the end of the world each time (I loved how in Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel they both saved the world so many times they and their companions became completely blase about it).

No comments: