Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Feh. Woke up worried because my boobs aren't as sore as they have been. In some ways I wish my symptoms were worse. I should be glad I feel this good.

One thing I noticed when I was at court last week: most, if not all, of the people who were there to pay fines/plead/whatever, were poorer people. Hartselle is predominantly white, but I saw mainly blacks and hispanics. The white people there were definitely blue-collar types. To me my $130 fine is annoying. To them it fines like that must really hurt. I'm not going to mumble comments about irresponsibility; most of them were there because something was wrong with their car, or they were driving without insurance or registration: things that cost money. Everyone bitches about how businesses exploit the poor, but how come no one bitches about how the courts exploit them? Well I'm bitching.

I'm pretty well convinced 90% of all laws are on the books to make sure that police can tag you with something if they don't like you for some reason. I wonder how many people have been arrested and prosecuted for carrying beer in their car in a dry county? I'm sure all of them looked like they couldn't afford a lawyer. They probably gave the arresting officer some lip.

I'm not against having laws; I'm against the arbitrary manner the police use in enforcing them. I got a ticket because I don't know the right people and I somehow annoyed a police officer. Hell, if you're the right person you can be caught with an open beer in your hand and they'll smile and wave you through.

I'm just pissed thinking about that police officer who did his best to intimidate me. Not in a threatening manner; he just bullshitted me to make sure I wouldn't fight the ticket. I was okeydoked and I still feel humiliated just thinking about it.

I doubt I'll beat the charge. Feh again.

No comments: