Monday, October 11, 2004

What an odd weekend.

Friday night I went out with my husband and 6 male skydivers; one of them works for a Japanese car company and was enthusiastically telling us about prostitution in Japan. Being the only woman in the group I felt a little out of place. We ended up in this club that had a blues rock trio playing. They were energetic and competent. I spent some time dancing with my husband; the beer helped, but what helped most was when I stopped thinking about being self-concious and thought about the fact that I was with Jon.

But then an altercation broke out: where there are more than 2 skydivers there is a video camera; the guy filming got into a minor argument with a man who didn't want to be filmed. He smoothed it over; he wasn't looking for a fight. Unfortunately another skydiver was; under the guise of 'backing (skydiver A) up', he started insulting the other man even though the other man and skydiver A had ironed out their misunderstanding. What ended up happening is skydiver A grabbed skydiver B; the bouncer grabbed skydiver A in a headlock and ran him outside.

Skydiver A finally calmed down (especially when the cops arrived) but skydiver B insisted he had done no wrong. Jon practically threw this extremely drunk idiot in the van and we left. I have had enough of the police for one decade.

Saturday started rainy and remained that way all day. Suspecting foul weather, I started rereading The Stand for the umpity-umpth time. We all rented some movies - oh by the way, once everyone slept it off everything was hunky dory. Men are downright scary when they're angry (and drunk), but they seem to let things go quicker than women. I say 'seem to' but I wonder if that's real.

Oh, yeah; the movies: Walking Tall. It was eh. Along Came Polly. Less than eh, though I was shocked at how nice a body Hank Azaria has. He always came across to me as an ordinairy schlub. I'm fairly certain there was a 3rd movie but I can't remember what it was right now. Oh, yeah! Man on Fire with Denzel Washington. It was a remake of an obscure and mediocre Scott Glenn movie made in the mid-80's. It was the best movie I saw all weekend but I'm not sure I'm saying much. Depressing, too.

Sunday was a little better; we got two loads up for the whole day. Once I returned from retrieving a skydiver who landed out, I discovered that the woman I have been having problems with had finally returned. I was determined to keep from acting flaky and hostile and I think I succeeded. She brought a photo album with her which I flipped through. Some of the pictures of her with Jon gave me acid indigestion. So yeah, I still feel threatened. She's prettier than I am. We got along but I fought with depression (and boredom) all day.

We had one bit of excitement and I don't mean it in a good way; one of our pilots (and a skydiver and a friend) was flying into the airport (in a small rental plane) when he lost his engine. He radioed in for us to call the firetruck; for an instant we all thought he had to be joking. We all piled outside and watched him land gear up. Scared the crap out of all of us but he was okay.

Finished up Sunday by watching The Butterfly Effect which wasn't half bad. Depressing but not bad. I don't think Ashton Kutchner did a bad job. Why? Because I didn't spend the movie thinking that it was that guy from "That 70's Show". And, hey; haven't seen Eric Stoltz in forever. Where have you been?

No comments: