Thursday, August 19, 2004

Last night Jon and I watched Kill Bill Vol.2. Sigh.

You know, I really like Tarantino's movies: Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown. They all tend to have long scenes of conversations which for the most part hold my interest. But by the end of Volume 2 I was begging Uma to Kill Bill allready. Do you really want me to explain the entirety that is Kill Bill to you? Simple: Quentin has a crush on Uma.

Volume 2 suffered because none of the fight scenes came close to matching the Crazy 88 scenes in volume 1. Oh sure I liked the showdown between Beatrix (whoops, hope I didn't spoil anything for you) and Elle Driver, but it was too short. And I never realized David Carradine spoke so mincingly. Really! The best part of volume 2 was the flashback with Kung Fu instructor Pai Mei. Tarantino has truly seen every cheapassed Hong Kong flick in existence. I really loved it when Pai Mei was berating The Bride for not being able to speak proper Mandarin. They were both speaking Cantonese. Yeah, I can tell. Cantonese is more singsong while Mandarin has a lot of hard R sounds in it. I too have seen way too many cheapassed Hong Kong flicks.

My absolute favorite American movie with a Hong Kong spirit will always be Big Trouble in Little China. This movie came out before it was cool to like cheapassed Hong Kong movies. Do not confuse this one with Showdown in Little Tokyo, an old Dolph Lundgren movie. If you watch this piece of doo-doo, it is only worth seeing because it was one of Brandon Lee's movies.

I've said it before, I think; but what a waste of a perfectly good hottie. I saw this alleged film on HBO one day over at a friends house during college. I remember saying to my friend, "Who's the Bruce Lee looking fellow?". Damn, he had an easygoing charisma; he had moves, and oh he was a babe. I was watching CNN some years later when they reported on his injury on a movie set. It wasn't an hour later they reported his death. First time I lost a listee. Usually they just fade away.

No comments: