Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Oh joy! *Poing* *poing* *poing*

I was at Wal-Mart last night after work and was perusing their $10 DVDs. I found Rustler's Raphsody, my all-time favorite movie that nobody saw.

When I was growing up in Puerto Rico, one of the english-language TV stations would show old Roy Rogers movies. I must have seen them all dozens of times. Now old Roy couldn't act his way out of a wet paper sack, but he was handsome, honest, decent, and could shoot the gun out of a man's hand at 50 paces. And boy did he have a nifty wardrobe!

I'm telling you that to explain to you why I have such unconditional love for this movie. It is a gentle satire of the old Gene Autry/Roy Rogers movies. And I do mean gentle. After so many Airplane!s, American Pies, and Scary Movies, it's a shock to see something not go for the penis/fart/masturbation jokes. Well, there is some cursing. Damn, damn, hell, damn, tee-tee, doo-doo,...

It features Rex O'Herlihan (Tom Berenger), the singing cowboy. He travels from town to town on his horse Wildfire righting wrongs and bringing justice to the frontier. He has developed almost a zen-like attitude about what he's going to encounter when he gets to a new town; he knows without being told about the pretty but somehow asexual schoolmarm that just moved in, as well as the railroad that's being built and how the cattle baron (Andy Griffith!) is oppressing the peaceful sheepherders. He knows the town drunk ('that guy' G.W. Bailey) is going to become his sidekick before even meeting him.

This movie isn't for everyone but I adore it. And like I've said before, it's kind of mind-blowing to see Tom Berenger play such a good good-guy. Not only did he play Sargeant Barnes in Platoon, but he played a homosexual rapist/murderer in Looking for Mister Goodbar (which sucks, I say. Sucks!). Where did your career go, Tom? BTW he was in the hilariously bad Cutaway, which was a movie about skydiving drug smugglers. Berenger did learn how to skydive for the movie. The people who made this piece of poop made the mistake of trying to please both skydivers and the unknowing public and ended up pissing off the former and boring the latter.

Anyhow, check out Nancy's recent amusing comments about the Micheal Stipe stalker she met in Athens once. Obsessions are interesting things, but it's kind of scary to see/meet someone who is full in the grip of one. I can see how it could get remarkably boring having to listen to these one-note defective creatures drone on and on about their undying love. Yeah, I've done my own mental stalking, but never actually sought out the object of my desire. Going to see Ralph Fiennes play Hamlet in London does *not* count! It was my sister's idea, and it's not like we hung around back stage to get a glimpse or anything!

Though if I could get a way-back machine, I'd go back to talk with that red-headed Laertes....

Um! Anyway, here's my link of the week:Boyfriend of the Week. This woman's tastes are all over the map, which is of course, just fine in my book. Not only was Damian Lewis one of her boyfriends, she has an entry for just about all of my listees. Plus, she has two on Owen Wilson, which someone out there might be interested in reading.

No comments: