Thursday, June 10, 2004

Here's 2, count them, 2 top 10 lists for you because I'm bored:

The links, by the way, go to their IMDb filmographies just so you can peruse them and go "Oh yeah, it's *that* guy!".

Top 10 Actors I enjoy seeing in the cast list of a movie:



Most of these are 'character' actors. Jeez, that is such a denigrating term. Anyway, they are always fun to watch:

10 J.T. Walsh
R.I.P., J.T. I always got a kick out of his performances. He always seemed to play bad guys and he never got too hammy. Just hammy enough. If you go through his filmography you will be stunned by how many of his movies you have seen.

9 Adam Baldwin
Not one of the Baldwin brothers. Remember My Bodyguard? How about Full Metal Jacket? He had small reoccuring roles on both The X-Files and Angel. Good looking; he tends to play tough guys/heavies. Brings a good amount of intensity to his roles, like Clancy Brown only not as creepy (see the other list).

8 Philip Seymour Hoffman
Often confused with Jack Black, except he's not a patented asshole. I first saw him in Twister; he seems to be a favorite of Paul Thomas Anderson (Boogie Nights and Magnolia).

7 Brian Cox
Gained my attention as the first Hannibal Lector (in Manhunter). He was elegant and menacing in a psycho way without the ham. I saw him last as Melaneus in Troy.

6 Chris Cooper
He first came to my attention in American Beauty, he won me over in Lone Star because the love story in that movie involved a middle-aged couple.

5 Scott Glenn
He plays tough guys. Kind of a poor man's Lee Marvin. Again, plenty of intensity without the ham (mostly). I first noticed him in The Right Stuff I think. It might have been something sooner than that. Often confused with Fred Ward, who is often confused with Robert Forster.

4 Ewan Bremner
Scot. Shows up in movies with Ewan MacGregor a lot. He's not handsome, but he is nowhere near as phugly as his IMDb picture makes him. Holy crap, dude! Who did you piss off to get that picture posted? Or were you cast to play Tim Burton in a movie?!!? Anyway, first noticed in Trainspotting.

3 Lance Henriksen
Everybody knows who Lance Henriksen is. I have seen him in a gazillion things; first came to my attention as Bishop in Aliens.

2 Tom Sizemore
I hate the fact that he seems to want to self-destruct. Dude. Quit threatening your ex-girlfriends! I can't remember which movie I first saw him in but he's been all over the map. Tends to play heavies or wisecracking soldiers.

1 William Fichtner
Intensity without getting hammy. See a common thread here? First came to my attention in Equilibrium although I have seen him in dozens of other movies before.


Top 10 movie creeps:



At one point in their career, these guys have played some sort of creep and it got them typecast. At least, when they're in the cast list, I get uneasy. Totally unfair, because some if not all of these guys do an exemplary job in whatever they do.

10 Xander Berkely
Played George Mason in 24. I have always considered him a creep or a jerk. Can't recall which movie did it, though.

9 Tom Berenger
It is so totally unfair that I put him on this list. But I saw Looking for Mister Goodbar. Matter of fact, I double-dog dare you to rent it and watch it back-to-back with Rustler's Rhapsody. Your brain *will* implode.

8 Liev Schreiber
He played such a wierdo in Phantoms I have never been able to watch him in anything else without getting creeped out. That movie is a guilty pleasure, by the way.

7 Dylan Baker
I've mentioned him before. He was in Happiness. I can't watch him in anything else without remembering the scene --- eewww, never mind.

6 William H. Macy
He plays ordinairy joes so well, but I have Fargo stuck in my head. Oh, you betcha.

5 Michael Wincott
Plays heavies a lot; has a low raspy voice. So why is Michael Wincott on this list and Lance Henriksen on the other list? Henriksen is intense. Michael Wincott is creepy.

4 Ted Levine
Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs. Need I say more?

3 Clancy Brown
The Kurgan in Highlander. Oh, this is funny! He has an active career as cartoon voices including Spongebob Squarepants.

2 Steve Buscemi
Everything he's ever done! Now that I think of it, Peter Stormare should be on this list, too. Between him, Buschemi, and William H. Macy, was there ever a wierder collection of creeps?

1Vincent D'Onofrio
Private Pyle in Full Metal Jacket. I remember seeing Adventures in Babysitting where he wasn't so fat or brain-damaged and still being somewhat creeped out. He never fails to make me uncomfortable.


No comments: