Monday, April 12, 2004

I read an interview with Damian Lewis recently, where he was talking about his character Soames Forsyte. The interview was over the phone. He made mention that he went to boarding school so lived for a while in a similar 'milieu' as the one presented in the Forsyte Saga, but that he's a more 'ebullient' person than Soames. Is it okay for me to say how all hot and bothered I am for a man who can use the words 'ebullient' and 'milieu' in a phone conversation?

Dylan Baker has had a fairly solid career as a character actor. He and William H. Macy could play/be brothers. I was watching a preview of Spider-Man 2 and he's in it. I am sure I am not the only one who gets rattled every time I see him in a role. It's because of the part he played in Happiness, a very dark (ultra-violet) comedy. He played a psychiatrist who loves little boys. He did a fantastic job - I felt bad for the creep as well as thoroughly repulsed. That's the kind of role that can ruin a career.

Speaking of Spider-Man 2, (June 30) I'm judging by the trailer but it looks like it will be another angst-filled action fest. Or is that an action-filled angst fest? No matter. Bless Sam Raimi for taking his subject matter seriously. I have heard rumors that the people responsible for the James Bond franchise are going nuts because they can't come up with a decent script. Last I checked the most decent script they used was Dr. No in 1964. But I digress: get a clue you morons. If you want to revitalize the franchise it won't happen by more clever gadgets or explosions or the flavor-of-the-month teen idol. Get yourself a good director and screenwriter who will take the subject matter seriously then let them loose!

That reminds me:

Top 10 Internet Grammar/Spelling Errors/Quirks that Annoy Me*

10: Using 'loose' when you mean 'lose'. You lose your keys. Your clothes feel loose after a few weeks of dieting.

9: Two, to, and too. TWO students went TO the football game. My brother went, TOO.

8: Free rein!

7: Its and it's. This is a weird one that I get wrong sometimes. "Its" actually indicates possession, like its horn, its glasses, its teeth. "It's" is the contraction of "it is". It's raining.

6:Who and whom. Actually I don't care if people don't use 'whom'; it's going out of style. But if they do....
Here's a hint: re-word the question into a statement. (who or whom) is going to the dance? HE is going to the dance, therefore you use Who. With (who/whom) is he going to the dance? He is going to the dance with HIM. Therefore it is With whom is he going to the dance? Or use "Who is he going to the dance with?" see if I care. Just don't say "Whom is going to the dance?" Argh!!!

5: "Irregardless" is a stupid word. Don't use it.

4: Strunk and White are correct: Omit needless words! The fact of the matter is I'm guilty, too.

3:"Quotation marks" in a sentence or around an interjection to indicate emphasis. Don't do "this", really. It makes you look sarcastic. If you can't underline or bold your words, use *asterisks* to indicate emphasis, or even _underscores_. But "this" looks "sarcastic". "Okay?"

2: I'm guilty of this, too... using ellipsis (ellipses?) when I write... And I thought using "whom" correctly was pretentious... bite me...

1: Using an apostrophe to indicate plural. Use them to indicate possession, dammit! A car's door! Those cars over there! Those Cars' doors!

* which is hypocritical of me because I'll dangle a participle, split an infinitive, and end a sentence with a preposition with the best of them.

No comments: