Friday, March 05, 2004

My Friday workout went well. During the shoulders exercises I felt tired more than usual. That feeling worried me; I was afraid I'm not eating enough. But then I did my leg exercises and felt stronger than ever. So the dieting thing is in a 'so far, so good' mode. I'll write more about the diet, my progress, and the rules I'm violating Monday.

After all that Army talk, I wanted mention Kitchen Patrol. Most soldiers hate KP. Why? I went through basic in South Carolina in February, March, and early April. It was quite chilly. KP meant I got to be warm *all day* in a tiny building jam-packed with food. So I had to scrub a few pots and peel a few potatoes. The Army motto is 'don't be first, don't be last, never volunteer' and for the most part that's true. But I'd volunteer for KP any day.

I dug through my laser disc collection last night and Jon and I settled for an Arnold Swarzenegger movie: Total Recall. Released in 1990, one of its amusements is leftover 80's hair. I miss 80's action movies; they are far more violent.

Arnold plays a construction worker who pays to have memories of a vacation on Mars implanted in his head. He buys the 'extra-special' package, which instead of a standard stay-at-a-hotel, buy the tee-shirt style vacation, he has an action-adventure style Mars story implanted. The implant goes wrong, and it triggers memories about mars which leads to an action-adventure trip to Mars. The mindjob here is is he really involved in intrigue on Mars, or is he in the middle of a paranoid delusion?

This movie would have been more interesting if it had messed with the is he/isn't he on Mars aspect more; I'm sure since Arnold was in it that part of the script was de-emphasized. It was based on a Philip K. Dick story, a man who specialized in mindjob stories.

Michael Ironside, a canadian actor that specializes in Evil Bad Guys doesn't slack off in this movie. He, Lance Henriksen, Clancy Brown, J.T. Walsh (r.i.p.), David Warner, and a handful of other actors are (for me) good actors who get typecast in small roles, usually bad guys, but are always fun to watch. Ah. There's a good top 10 list to work on...

No comments: