Tuesday, February 17, 2004

For Back and Bicep day we tried out Hartselle's one and only gym. It was decent; only really small. The free weight room was well-equipped; it has squat cage which is my main concern. The best thing about the gym is that it's so close to our house I can drive home and take a shower before going to work.

Some days I listen to my MP3 player at work. I have about 200 songs in one folder that I set on "random" but I swear the player has its own agenda. It started out on a Joy Division song (existence well what does it matter / I exist on the best terms I can / the past is now part of my future / the present is well out of hand) so I can tell it's going to be moody.

Top 10 television shows I wouldn't have missed even if I was set on fire:

10)Starsky and Hutch

Yeah, I had a thing for David Soul. What was I thinking? Most memorable episode: The scene-for-scene ripoff of Play Misty for Me. At least, that's the only ep I remember.

9)The Rookies

I had a thing for Micheal Ontkean, ok? I don't remember a damn episode from this series except a tie-in with SWAT (Robert Urich. Man, I am so predictable).

8)Kolchak: The Night Stalker

No, I did *not* have a thing for Darren McGavin, although he's always a hoot to watch. This show, nicknamed "monster of the week" by those who loved and hated it, was part of the inspiration of the X-Files.

7)Wiseguy

This show was the first real show to try 'story arcs', first with Ray Sharkey's Sonny Steelgrave arc then the then-unknown Kevin Spacey's Mel Proffit arc. This show was about an undercover cop going after mob figures. After the first season this show slowly deteriorated but I hung on to the lackluster end. Personally I think Ken Wahl is a fat tub of goo but I always appreciated Jonathan Bank's turn as Frank McPike. Any one who remembers Elvis and Priscilla Prim will understand what I'm talking about.

6)Quantum Leap

No, I didn't have a thing for Scott Bakula, either. Dr. Sam Beckett lept from body to body within his own lifetime, trying to correct the past. In a wierd way, this show was a reflection of everybody's frustrated daydreams: go back in time and try and fix something, even if it is simply a chance to talk some sense into some idiots. Think about it; go back in time and stop Klebold and Harris; go back to the set of The Crow and show the actor who killed Brandon Lee (*sob!*) the defective prop gun; warn airport security on 9/11/01.

5)MacGyver

Okay, I did have a thing for Richard Dean Anderson, though I so wanted him to get a haircut (He listened to me for Stargate SG-1. Woo-hoo!). But anyway, MacGyver was the nerd version of Indiana Jones. I loved his ability to think his way out of a problem, although sometimes his dislike of guns got annoying. Oh, sure blow shit up but don't use a firearm.

4)The Incredible Hulk

Oh, hell yes I had a thing for Bill Bixby.

3)Alien Nation

This show, short-lived as it was, has a special place in my heart. It concerned a space ship full of slaves that crash-lands on earth and how the survivors try to integrate themselves into society. The catch is is these ex-slaves are physiologically superior to humans in almost every way. I really liked alien police officer George Fransisco and his family (except his son needed some smacks), and his partner, Sikes. Sikes fit the mold of loner wild-cannon cop, except he was allowed to actually be somewhat pathetic, bitter and lonely. He had a thing for a lady alien despite some prejudices. Character development and interesting stories made this series. Release these on DVD, all ready!

2)Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Once I started watching it, which was the middle of season 7. Finally they managed to end a series on the correct note.

1)The X-Files

My brother made me watch this around the middle of the second season. Sure David Duchovny's cute but I watched this show for Scully. It's still my favorite series of all time although Buffy is a close second. Ended in a mess as the major uber-arc really never made sense. Big deal; there are so many standalone (or almost standalone) episodes that shone: Irresitible, Beyond the Sea, Bad Blood, Humbug, Squeeze, and Pusher. I'm sure I'm leaving out a huge chunk of great episodes. Oh, hey, Krychek was hot. He was such a bad, bad, boy...

I'm going to have to start rewatching the X-Files from the first season.

No comments: