Monday, July 18, 2011

Fortune and Gloating


IMG_0653, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

There's no way I can write this post without sounding like I'm gloating. Jon and I feel very fortunate over the last year. We managed to sell the drop zone and the airplanes, and last Thursday we closed on the old house getting exactly what we asked for it.

Because of the results of those two sales I was able to send a HUGE check to Wells Fargo and we are a little under $6000 away from paying off the new house.

OK so I am gloating. \0/ \0/ \0/

Right now we just plan to REST and not take on anything big. We are planning to put in a pool at some point but not until next spring.

In other news Brenden hates dentist drills so bad we had to take him to a hospital to get knocked out so that the dentist could fix his teeth. This happened Friday and the good news is Brenden is not feeling any pain. While it took all freaking day, Jon and I were totally entertained by the medicine the nurse gave Brenden before he was wheeled away for the actual work. Brenden was 8 miles high and VERY happy. And B took everything in stride. According to the nurse and many parents, many kids wake up disoriented and upset. Brenden woke up, sat up, blinked, and rolled over and went back to sleep. A chip off the old block!

5 comments:

Helly said...

Wow, that's great! Every time I get our house close(r) to paid off, some disaster happens and it makes more sense to refi or use our HELOC than gutting our savings or using a credit card. I've only ever had a 15-year note, but still. That is WONDERFUL for your fam.

Mom took me in her car to buy a white-trash pool(as in, above ground vinyl) yesterday so I could get a taste of the good and the bad of pool ownership without committing us to a lot of expense, so I may be needing some advice soon. But it's not set up yet; we have to get some sort of site-plan induced permit from the county. Which I bet most of the rednecks I see with these pools haven't bothered to do, but you know Alan. LOL

Helly said...

There is a space between 'pool' and parenthesis. I know this. And yet, my comment...

Anonymous Me said...

Congratulations, Sandy! You and Jon have been really wise with your money. I recently sent an extra mortgage payment by mistake because I'm changing from one bank account to another and have just done everything wrong with the cancellig and setting up of automatic payments . . . But hey, it's a step in the right direction. :-) I was really hoping we'd make a visit this summer and it didn't happen. Count on us next year when you have your new pool (if not before - hopefully before!) Oh, and my nephew is supposedly moving out in August, so we'll have a guest room again!

Topcat said...

Thanks, Helly and Nancy. My biggest pool advice #1 is keep it clean and check the chemicals often. As in 3 - 4 times a week. In the case of pools an ounce of prevention is most definitely worth a pound of cure.

Lisa Erin said...

Congrats...I look forward to being debt free, hopefully sooner than later...as I knock on my wooden haid...

That's wild about getting B's teeth done at the hospital. Don't think I've heard about anything like that before.

By the way, have you guys seen the new HP flick yet? I'm hoping to catch it today or tomorrow...if we can find a place that shows 2D. I can't do the 3D stuff.