Friday, August 20, 2010

I for one welcome our new Swedish Overlords


IMG_4186, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

I hope I don't get Dooced for this. I never mention my work because I don't want to be sacked, but I feel compelled to mention that the company I work for has been sold to a Swedish corporation. No, I won't get relocated - we've been assured it will be business as usual.

That remains to be seen, but I'd rather be working for a company that's publicly owned, even overseas, than one that is privately owned by a hedge fund. There's a reason our roofs leak and our computer equipment is 5 years out of date.

I stop now. Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti.

Speaking of Swedes, I saw The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, which is an excellent adaptation of the book. I dread the American remake simply because there's nothing wrong with this one whatsoever.

I had a Teaching Moment with Brenden ( no, we didn't let him watch this movie!) when he poked his head out of the computer room once and asked me if Lisbeth, the eponymous character, was a boy or a girl. "She's a girl" I said.
He asked "Why she dressed like a boy?"
I replied "She just likes to dress that way".
He thought about it then said "Is she a boy and a girl?"
I said "No, she's just a girl. Some people like to dress different, that's all. It's no big deal".
He shrugged and said "Ok" and went back to my computer to trash my farm.

I'm reading a new series of books, The Dresden Files, about a modern-day wizard / private detective who solves mysteries in Chicago. They usually involve vampires, werewolves, demons, angels, more wizards, all sorts of faeres, trolls, and ghouls. Classic literature the books aren't but they're bunches of fun. The series has 11 books and counting and the author, Jim Butcher, is on record that he wants the series to span 20 stories including an 'apocalyptic trilogy' to cap everything off, because who doesn't like apocalyptic trilogies?

Stay away from Robert Jordan and George R.R. Martin, Jim. Please.

2 comments:

Anonymous Me said...

Nice "teaching moment" there. It's interesting to see how children develop ideas about gender.

Unknown said...

I've not read 'The Dresden Files,' but I remembered you mentioning the books, and so on Lisa's Big Brother/ Top Chef night I watched the short lived Sci Fi channel's series (I saw one episode tonight). I was wondering if you'd seen them (they're on Hulu). They ain't bad; but I sure the books are better.

I miss my used bookstore in Jacksonville, Jerry's probably got all of them.

glenn