Thursday, January 14, 2010

Winter Fire


IMG_3666, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

What I'm Watching / Reading:

Land of the Lost: No Trope links because this is a will Ferrell movie which has become kind of a trope in itself. So I was wrong about my prejudgement about this movie. It was not worse than G.I. Joe. and that is damning it with faint praise. Some people consider this movie a rape of their childhood, but really: Land of the Lost? Sure, I watched it when I was a kid but even back then I knew it was a lame show. Most of the funny moments involve scenes with Matt Lauer.

9: Animated post-apocalyptic tale. Fascinating to look at, but it had some plotting problems.

Extract: I love Mike Judge and here he does what he always does - he shows us idiots being idiotic. The protagonist is a chemist and owns his own business so you think he'd be a little less stupid than the idiots who work for him, but he accidentally takes a horse tranquilizer and ends up getting talked into hiring a gigolo to have sex with his wife. See, this way he can cheat on her, guilt-free. This movie had its moments but on the whole I'd rather see Idiocracy again.

Under the Dome: This Stephen King book is about a thousand pages long and I read it in about 3 days. It's a page turner (kindle clicker?) about a small town that gets trapped underneath an impregnable force-field. I won't go into more to avoid spoilers except near the end of the book I was shaking so bad I didn't want to finish it. I'm glad I did though. I think it's some of his best writing ever. Your mileage may vary, of course.

American Idol is back, and it's Simon Cowell's last season. How the hell can AI go on? The whole reason to watch the show is to see Simon cut off some clueless contestant at the knees then dash a cup full of piss-tinged reality into said contestant's face. All with that dry british drawl. Also Paula Abdul is gone. No more incoherent drug-fueled rambling. How boring! I didn't last long last season, anyway. I doubt I'll make it past Hollywood week for this one either.

4 comments:

Anonymous Me said...

That kind of makes me wish I'd watched American Idol. I've never seen it even once.

Lisa Erin said...

I watched the first few seasons in their entirety, but anymore I can only get through the audition episodes. Never ceases to amaze me how many people think they've got 'some pipes'. Simon will be missed. I agree that he's the only one who gives people a dose of reality. Paula is indeed gone, but I've heard that Ellen Degeneres has been added this season. Haven't seen her at the auditions, so I guess she'll be on the studio show (?). My main question about that is, "What does a fairly decent comic with a popular talk show know about the music industry?"

Alan Bowman said...

We saw 9 in the theater, and I agree - it seemed like you had missed the first 30 minutes or so of the movie by the time the movie started. We did buy it on DVD though, so I'll watch it again to see if it makes more sense. Beautiful movie, though.

Also, I've never seen an episode of American Idol. There is something about Simon Cowell that just makes me want to cock punch him every time I see him on TV, and that sort of ruins any enjoyment I would get from the show.

Topcat said...

Nancy: in many ways I envy you. AI leads to brain rot, it's a proven fact. Just read one of poor Jacob's recaps on TWoP.

Lisa:I agree Ellen Degeneres doesn't make much sense. I guess the producers wanted to bring someone tv audiences would be familiar with.

Alan: Simon Cowell desperately needs to be cock punched. He's still the best thing about the show.

-Sandy