Monday, October 05, 2009

The Mushroom is not Relevant


Trail mushroom, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

Well, I have given up giving up caffeine. I'm kind of in a damned if I do damned if I don't conundrum.

First off, I have been drinking coffee since I was a kid and have been hardcore about it forever. I'm talking about a pot a day at least. I never deliberately tried to stop drinking it or to reduce my caffeine consumption in any way except when I was pregnant.

So there I was trying to keep my caffeine consumption to zero and I started experiencing aggravated athsma again. The last time I experienced bad athsma: when I was pregnant.

Check this out, or don't - here's the important excerpt:

Main results: Caffeine, even at a low dose, compared to placebo was found to significantly improve lung function, measured in terms of FEV1, FEF25-75 and specific airway conductance for up to 2 hrs post ingestion. This effect was sustained for FEF25-75 for over 4 hrs. Improvement was also seen in FEV1 up to this time, however this effect did not reach statistical significance. No data were available for specific airway conductance after 2hrs.

Or translated: I'm a caffeine maniac because it wards off athsma.

Bring on the java!

4 comments:

Anonymous Me said...

Fascinating. I'm relieved for you. I just heard on the news that you (asthma sufferers) shouldn't take the H1N1 nasal spray vaccine. I'm sure you already know this.

Topcat said...

Hey Nancy:

Thanks, and no I didn't know! Thanks for telling me so I don't waste a trip to the doc's.

-Sandy

Ileana said...

So glad you get to have your coffee again.. life is so much better with it.....
I was born in Yauco, known as the "Pueblo del Cafe"....I remember dressing as the "ripe coffee" for a Lions convention (my father was a Lion...I know you will laugh at this...haha) My dress was garnet red....
Believe it or not I never had coffee until I met your Dad....oh well...I can't imagine life without it..or wine....or these small pleasures that make our days so much better....and now to top it all....no more asthma????..

Topcat said...

Hey Ilu:

I agree, it's one of life's small pleasures. I missed my first cup in the morning and decaf didn't cut it.

Athsma is better now that I'm drinking it again. I wouldn't run a marathon but it's definitely improved.

That's a cute story! Funny to think that w/all that coffee in Yauco it took you that long to try some!

-Sandy