Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Baa Haabaa


bar harbor 045, originally uploaded by Aviator_edb.

My brother and his wife went on an RV vacation last week to Bar Harbor. So I'm stealing his vacation photos.

The pain is managable thanks to modern chemistry. I don't worry about addiction because when I was going through mastectomy recovery and getting my implant filled every week, the plastic surgeon prescribed me oodles of Darvocet and I popped those like M & M's. When I finally had my reconstructive surgery and recovered and the pills ran out, I essentially had been on pain meds for over 6 months.

When they did finally ran out, I was bummed for a week. Apparently pain meds suppress the manufacturing of endorphins (nature's feel-good chemicals) and it takes a while for natural production to get cranking again. I finally started feeling better and while I did miss the drugs some, the feeling didn't overwhelm me.

If I have to face surgery again, I am buoyed by knowing two coworkers who have had discs removed and their spines fused. Both of them are very happy with the results. We also marvelled at the fact that everything starts to break down once you reach the magical age of 40. What the heck happens when you reach 40? Does your body's warranty expire or something?

I need to find recipes that Brenden can safely cook. Non-heat recipes might be best. He has really taken to messing up my kitchen. I supply him with ingredients I don't really care about - rice, oatmeal, salt, sugar, parsely flakes, etc. and he goes to town. All I have to do is sit at the table and read a book and call him 'Spongebob' every once in a while.

Spongebob is a good role-model in some ways. He is a good example of how attitude affects everything. He loves what most people would consider a crappy job (short-order cook) because he's just a cheerful little sponge. And he is a hard-working, excellent cook and employee. I would love Brenden to emulate those qualities. I just hope he doesn't pick up Spongebob's habit of overreacting to everything (I may be a little too late there to stop that ).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paula Deen has a cookbook for kids..I haven't seen it, but you might want to take a look. It might be suitable for B.

Hope your health improves and all goes well.

mikey

Topcat said...

Thanks, Mikey; and I love watching Paula Deen on the Food Network, although just looking at her Southern Cooking makes me gain weight. I'll keep an eye out for her cookbook.

Anonymous Me said...

Spongebob as role model - I'd never thought of that before! I've seen several cookbooks for small children at Border's. I got one for my cousin's four-year-old last Christmas because they like to cook together. The last time I saw Paula Deen she was making banana stuffed french toast. By the time she had dusted them with powdered sugar and drizzled them with syrup, I was in a diabetic coma.