Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Another good post to ignore


A matter of perspective, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

So I think I have won Old Person's Disease Bingo. I think I won Saturay, when I started experiencing a little aching in my forearms. As the day wore on the ache spread to my shoulders, and I managed to sleep for a few hours but I woke up with my back and arms on fire.

I called Jon and asked him to come get me to take me to the hospital when it became apparent to me that the pain was not going to go away. Stacey watched Brenden for us and we went to Decatur hospital. It's a shorter trip to Hartselle's little ER but Decatur is better equipped. I had a hard time staying still in the car seat and that was an excruciating 15 minute drive.

We didn't have to wait long but the entire time I couldn't sit or lay down; I had to continually walk around with my arms crossed over my chest.

I'm having a tough time remembering everything, but the doc eventually ordered some shots for me including a muscle relaxant, a steroid, and "morphine". "Morphine" is in quotes because I'm convinced that there was nothing but water in that syringe. I paced for 20 minutes while the muscle relaxant did it's job. While I was far more relaxed about it, none of the pain went away so I complained but the doc waited another 20 minutes before he gave me something real.

I think I woke up long enough to say "Yep, that did the trick" and I vaguely remember the drive home.

So what the hell is going on? I think it's a pinched nerve in my back. The doc gave me prescriptions for a painkiller and a muscle relaxant, and I don't need them until I go to sleep and then I need them again when I wake up because of pain. The symptoms: burning pain up and down both arms, I can't extend my left arm all the way without more pain, numbness and tingling both forearms and hands, and a loss of strength in my left hand.

Bummer. I go see the doctor tomorrow. If I need another operation I'm going to scream.

1 comment:

Anonymous Me said...

Good lord, that sounds awful. I hope you can get rid of the pain, by whatever method, asap.