Friday, June 19, 2009

Random Bits

As I speak, the finishing touches are being applied to a large amount of concrete work being done around our pool. Photos soon come of where our Puerto Rico vacation went.

Big Fat Kitty, when he was a kitten, was very timid (still is actually) and he would never uses his claws. Jayne and Zoe are rambunctious kittens and I had forgotten what it was like to have a couple in the house (Vasquez was middle ground. She was playful, but she never went hog-wild, not like these two). All I can say is it's a good thing kittens are made out of rubber because they have been booted forcefully of our bed innumerable times since I adopted them. Some people might like to be woken up by having their fingers or toes nibbled on, but not me, Jon, or Brenden.

Some gaming philosophy: The appeal of Fallout 3 and similar games for me is the FRP (Fanstasy Role-Playing, and man do I ever hate that term. That sounds like games for perverts) aspect. Essentially your character progresses from a weakling to a badass, aquiring skills, money, weapons and armor and you also get to fight progressively badass opponents, too. But that's not the only appeal. In many of the games you deal with other characters with whom you can talk or trade. Some of them you can get 'quests' from (go get / do something and get X in return). Depending on your actions, you can gain fame (or infamy). Yes, you can kill these NPC (non-player characters), but there are consequences to your actions. Those are the games I love the most - your choices come down to ethical choices and they have a great influence on the gameplay.

I find it almost impossible to play a completely evil character. I have played the goodiest goody two-shoes to some pretty scuzzy 'I'm in it for the money' thieving assholes, but I can't bring myself to be something completely awful like a slaver. I can murder if the cause is just - there's one town in Fallout 3, Paradise Falls, that's a town full of slavers. I tried once to go there and just 'get along' but after watching a slaver kill a bartender for watering his drink down I pulled out my shotgun and went to town. On the entire town. They were all scum, good riddance. Well, I didn't kill the doctor. She didn't try to kill me so I cut her some slack and bought some stimpacks off of her.

No comments: