Monday, May 04, 2009

The 610


The train, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

Short Bits

I'm enjoying my damn hobby when I can - I was detoured last weekend when I opened the pool. Before / after photos soon come.

I did so some work in my little 'garden' over the week but it's so tough with Brenden. I was planting my hostas so I was trying to encourage him to help me. I dug a hole and gently removed the hosta from its pot. I gave it to Brenden and told him to place it in the hole. He decided there was too much dirt on the roots and grabbed the plant by the base and started shaking it violently. The hosta is still alive, which is a miracle.

Also while I was trying to get the darn thing planted I finally noticed Brenden had a shovel and was attacking one of my newly-planted gardenias. I confiscated the shovel and looked Brenden in the eye and said, "Brenden, I really need you to listen to me. Are you my reincarnated grandma? This is all revenge for that tree I cut on with my knife, isn't it? Really, grandma, I'm sorry, OK?"

Brenden started laughing, hard. It sent shivers down my back.

This last weekend was a 10" wash - really we had an extra 5 inches of water in the pool on Saturday so I vacuumed the bottom with the pump set to 'waste'. We went to Chattanooga on Sunday and when we got back there was another 5 inches in the pool.

Speaking of Chattanooga - Jon, Brenden and I went to the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum of a Day out With Thomas (the Tank engine). Brenden had fun, but the train ride was lame. The kids had fun, but the Thomas engine is a fake - the train had a diesel in the back of it doing the real push / pulling. The 610 steam engine was also running that day and it's a much niftier ride. Photos soon come.

Jon and I are going out on a date! There are 7pm showings Thursday night of the new Star Trek so we got a babysitter. I haven't seen a movie on opening night in ages.

No comments: