Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Smile


smile, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.


I believe the sinus infection has left but my allergies are raging. I quit getting shot\taking drugs for allergies when I was diagnosed with cancer for no other reason than apathy. Now that I know my tits aren't going to kill me (yet) I'm going to reboot my allergy treatment program starting tomorrow with a doctor's appointment.

Letter to Brenden Month 33:

Brenden, you are asserting your independence. When I say independence, I mean you are refusing to do anything we ask you to do. If this letter doesn't sound as light-hearted as normal, it's because this last weekend we were leaving the grocery store, and on the way to the van you decided to run from me and dart between two parked cars. I told you to stop and come back to me, and you got THAT LOOK on your face. I dropped the groceries and took off when you did, but you got about a foot past the other side of the parked cars before I grabbed your collar. You skidded on the asphalt and you started crying, I started crying, my hair greyed a little bit more and I had a myocardial infarction. What if a car had been coming? What if the driver was an asshole who likes to go 35 mph in a parking lot?

Being a parent sometimes is a never-ending series of what-if nightmares. The rest of the time you get to sit there and think about how inadequate, ill-equipped and uneducated you are. I hope I have some fun things to talk about next month, B.

1 comment:

Anonymous Me said...

Do you have a leash for him yet? $14.95 or something like that at Toys R Us. I can totally sympathize.