Monday, December 17, 2007

Overcoming Inertia


bouquet, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

Sheesh! I have been under the weather, of course, but not bad enough that excuses going this long without posting. I have no excuse, except the drugs. I've been conveniently blaming them for everything.

So what has been happening to me since me and my right-side mammary glands parted ways? A little sleep, some reading, a little computer gaming, and very little television. That's it.

Here's some highlights and lowlights, in no particular order, from that time:

1) Dad telling me "he's the most well-behaved little kid I've ever met". He was talking about some pod person, because surely he wasn't referring to Brenden! He and Ilu took care of B the night after my surgery so that Jon could stay with me. They also helped enormously the weekend following my surgery. Brenden did have a screeching meltdown when Ilu took him grocery shopping, so apparently the aliens who kidnapped him returned him pretty fast (I wonder why?).

2) Projectile vomiting the hour before I got out of the hospital. I'll leave it at that.

3) Discovering Brenden plays well with others. The others being friend Miranda's 2 year old daughter and 10 month old son. They kept me company the weekend following the weekend after my surgery. Miranda felt like she didn't do much, but I owe her big - time. If B hadn't had people there to play with it would have been Hell on Earth.

4) Nancy, Mark, and Anthony paying a visit last weekend. Again, B had someone to play with and it made a big difference. It was especially nice because the weather turned windy and cold. B was very upset with me Sunday afternonn when I wouldn't let him outside to ride his tricycle.

5) Flowers! I received lovely bouquets from a myriad of folks, including Helly and Alan. Jon wanted y'all to know it was the most beautiful flower arrangement he's ever seen. I thought it was remarkably lovely. Yes, we placed it in the bathroom, because Big Fat Kitty considers any plant material to be a tasty dinner salad. He's wierd that way. Anyway, I never realized how much a bouquet of flowers can cheer up a person. Thank you again, everybody. They were a constant source of instant warm fuzzies for me - and I needed them.

6) Pain meds. I received Demerol after surgery (Jon commented that I behaved like I was playing Jeopardy), and some Demerol-esque pill once off the pump which I took for about a week and a half. After I ran out, I experienced nausea and heavy-duty cold sweats. I thought this was withdrawl symptoms, but doc said I hadn't been on the hard stuff long enough. He told me what I was feeling was normal and prescribed me Tylenol with just a hint of Darvocet. They do the job, but I learned not to take them just before bedtime. I can't handle the funky-assed dreams.

That's enough for now. Everyone's support and well-wishes mean more to me than I can say.

I owe a 36 month letter to Brenden, plus a blow-by-blow of the reconstructive process I'm currently going through. As they say in the islands, soon come!

1 comment:

Helly said...

I totally understand about flowers = kitty salad. Finnovar takes it a step further, posing a near and present danger to silk flowers, as well. Perhaps he uses silk ones as garnish.