Wednesday, November 29, 2006

New living room


New living room
Originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.
If you take a surf on over to my Flickr account you'll see a whole passel of pictures of the house. I hope Helly doesn't gnash her teeth too much: getting it done so quickly cost us pretty close to five figures, way more than we wanted to spend. Nonetheless, I'm loving our living room. It looks like a living room now, instead of an Inquisition tortute chamber.

All rooms except now have laminate floors, and now is a good time to compare and contrast laminate vs. carpet:

Laminate flooring is good because:

  • Easier to keep clean
  • Easier to spot and avoid stepping in cat puke
  • Children learn the laws of physics quicker
  • Good excuse to buy bunny slippers
  • Looks wonderful and isn't as expensive as hardwood flooring


Laminate flooring is bad because:

  • Harder to be lazy and ignore the dust drifts and cat puke.
  • Child's lack of understanding of the laws of physics leads to more bumps on head.
  • Sound isn't absorbed as well so house is now noisier.
  • Cold on the tootsies.
  • Cat hates cold floor therefore takes up residence on pillows or head.
  • Cat spins his wheels madly when trying to run away from small marauders.


70's brown shag carpet is good because:

  • Hides spills, cat puke, cat hair and dirt well.
  • Warm on the tootsies.
  • Child somewhat protected from spills.
  • Cat can fall asleep wherever he wants.


70's brown shag carpet is bad because:

  • Won't find the cat puke until you step in it.
  • Will destroy your sinuses and cause you thousands in medical expenses, even if you have insurance.
  • Looks like crap.


So there you have it. I have noticed little effect on my sinuses yet because I still have a sinus infection (appointment w. doc today), plus I'm still taking meds that keep my nose clear so I don't know yet if I can ease off on taking them. Once I get completely infection-free we'll see.

1 comment:

Helly said...

"Close to five figures"?!? I feel better about my lack of progress now. Well, that and we've actually made some progress lately. Pix on Alan's Flickr site.