Monday, October 30, 2006

Fall in Oklahoma 2


Fall in Oklahoma 2
Originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.
More Brenden stuff: As I was getting him ready for bed last night, he protested when I put him in his crib. I picked him up again, and got a bright idea: I took the 2 stuffed ducks out of his crib (all the time I'm carrying B) and went to one of his toy chests and took out a stuffed tiger. I offered it to him and he managed to hug it and me enthusiastically. I took him back to his crib and set him down; he immediately put the tiger in a complete bear hug and started to, uh, make sweet love to it. I put a blanket over the lovebirds and left them alone. I never heard a peep out of him after that. Every Calvin needs a Hobbes.

Oh, yeah: and this story. I don't know how it is around the rest of the country but the political way of dealing with the Methamphetamine problem here is severely restricting the sale of products containing ephedrine and pseudoephedrine. When you do buy them you have to go to the pharmacy counter. Most places I go simply take your name & address and want to see your driver's license.

Saturday I went to buy some Claratin-D, a product I'm fond of when my sinus headaches get bad which between the paint fumes and the changing seasons have been killer lately. The pharmacist takes my information and then takes my license and is apparently making some sort of computer check on my id.

Several minutes go by and the pharmacist apologizes and says the computer check is going slow. More time passes and Brenden is getting restless in his shopping cart seat so I ask for my license back. I'm pretty angry right then even though I know the pharmacist is simply following instructions. I do chew on her butt a bit just to vent, but I felt somewhat bad about doing that. She didn't make the rules and she certainly doesn't run the crappy-assed database Alabama had thrown together to track pseudoephedrine purchases.

But for JEBUS'S SAKE!!! 5 people came up to the pharmacy window, asked for refills, and NEVER HAD THEIR LICENSE TAKEN FOR A COMPUTER CHECK! Next time I see my doctor I'm going to ask for a prescription.

2 comments:

Anonymous Me said...

That's so cute, about the tiger. Anthony has a leopard that some friends gave him for his first Christmas and he's slept with that ever since. He'll never play with it as a toy: "It's not for playin', it's for sleepin'."

I agree that making a person sign a form and show their license to by 1 fl. oz. of baby decongestant (oh, right, that was my experience)is worse than ridiculous.

Topcat said...

Nifty! Your Calvin has his Hobbes, too.

I managed to snag some Claratin-D at Wal-mart this afternoon, but I felt like a crack ho when they took my license. I was sure the cops were going to grab me because I tried to buy pseudoephedrine twice in one week.