Thursday, September 07, 2006

Are You Ready to Rumble?


blue eyes
Originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.
Letter to Brenden month 15: I promise not to cheat this month, honey, as you enter into a year and a quarter of existence. You celebrated by having your full first tantrum yesterday. It was a sight to behold! You rolled around on the kitchen floor, screaming and crying, turning purple, rejecting any and all comfort. I watched, amazed, for about 2 minutes, and when you didn't let up, I started laughing.

I'm sorry, but it was funny! It really looked like you were discovering what a tantrum was and so you were trying it on for size. I sobered up when I realized I have years of this ahead of me. Oh, joy.

For the record, you were pissed at me because I brought you indoors because you were getting fussy. So after I quit laughing I thought about it for a second, and considered laying next to you to show you how to beat your heels on the linoleum. I thought better of it, so I went and did the dishes because hon, if you don't want a hug or a cookie, there's not much else I can do until you cool down. Once I ignored you, you calmed down enough to where I could take you outside again for a nice refreshing dip in the pool with your dad.

It's hard to explain your development in the last couple of months. You are basically refining your skills (like going from fussy to full-blown conniption fit) and trying to climb everything. You are able to navigate over obstacles without me holding your hand and I'm deeply afraid that you will figure out how to get out of your crib pretty soon.

Words are still a mystery, although you have figured out how to yell "MAMA!" when you want out of your crib at 4 in the morning. Little dude, it's "DADA!" I have to work so your dad takes care of your 4 am fits whick are fortunately rare.

One thing I have noticed is that if you don't really understand the words, you get the meaning of what I am indicating. You understand more than we think you do. Dad says when he gets you ready in the morning you ask him to get his shoes and you do. I can ask you for things and you will bring them to me, too. Pretty neat. You go stupid again when I tell you to quit pressing buttons on the TV.

In closing, sweetie, your dad and I love you more and more, even as you turn more and more into a fire-breathing toddler. I know we have some rough days ahead but as long as dad and I tag-team you, I'm hoping we can wear you down before you wear us down. Are you ready to rumble?

2 comments:

Anonymous Me said...

I used to have that reaction, too, laughing at the tantrums. Now it's more breathing deeply and/or going in a different room. Today I took Anthony to the dentist and had to wake him up from a solid nap in the car. So there was a big, kicking, screaming, on-the-waiting-room-floor tantrum before the cleaning - although he was very good for the cleaning itself - then another major fit of Refusal - he's a Refusenik! - when it was time to leave. While I was futilely trying to get him the car, a young woman from the office was going to her car, and she came by and offered him a nice plastic frog. He was too embroiled in his tantrum to accept it, but a few minutes after she pulled away he was just settling down, he suddenly remembered: "I DOOOOOO WANT THE FROG! I DOOOOO WANT IT!" 30 solid minutes of screaming over the departed frog. I let the airconditioner run and opened a book. Anyway, all that to say, I guess, see what you have to look forward to?? There's the good side, too, though, like how incredibly cute they are when they talk. It's almost scary how much more they understand than they can say.

Topcat said...

Oy, Nancy, I think I just heard my hair turning gray(er)!