Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Week 32

Yeah, I know. Slacker slacker slacker! I have 50 days to go. I am experiencing more tiredness and fatigue, and something as complicated as emptying the dishwasher gives me excruciating back pain. I am waddling more and more like a penguin. Waah waah waah...

My obgyn visits have accelerated to once a week, and this coming Monday the visits will now include what are called "non-stress tests" where I lay down and they monitor the baby's heartbeat for 15-20 minutes. Apparently because I'm an elderly gravida (older person having a kid - who the HELL came up with that term? Probably the same sadistic bastard who came up with the term "incompetent cervix". Just what an anxious woman needs to hear: "well, your cervix is incompetent, besides that, you're an elderly gravida so we have to watch you closely". Sorry for the long parens but dang it someone needs to come up with kinder words). Anyway, because I'm an elderly gravida there's a chance my placenta will poop out too early. Wait, that sounded wrong. I mean it might start deteriorating before the baby is at term. So the docs are going to keep a closer eye on me and baby.

Oh, by the way, I'm an Elderly PRIMA Gravida, thankyouverymuch.

I had my last scheduled visit before the kid is born with my cool Allergist Dr. Krishna. He's happy with my continued progress and so am I. Despite the deep breathing I have to do because Brenden likes to shove his feet into my lungs my allergies and athsma are well in control.

As for Brenden, he is laying head-down now, so maybe I will have a normal labor. I'm still chickenpoop about natural; I've been reading alot about us elderly gravidas experiencing more prolapses and stuff. Plus there's this: Dooce's hilarious and horrifying recount of certain postpartum activities. And her husband is a saint! A saint, I tell you!

I still like to amuse myself by lifting up my shirt and watching my belly move. I probably shouldn't do that in a public area. But people should knock before they enter my cubicle! Sheesh!

My sister visited me the weekend before last. Since Jon was out of town we hung out for the day. It was a nice, low-key visit. She showed me a bunch of pictures of her cats and she managed to even pet Big Fat Kitty a few times. Vasquez of course was all over her. She's looking forward to spoiling the kid. Andrea, not Vasquez; although I'm certain she will try to sleep on the kid's legs given half a chance.

My brother is looking forward to spoiling Brenden too. He finally came over and skydived last weekend. He freaked out when I let him feel the baby move. Men! I'm still going to try to make it to his wedding, which is on the 21st of next Month.

So anyways Jon came home last Thursday having gotten an important task out of the way: he is now a certificated Airframe and Powerplant mechanic. Any time someone thinks about opening a drop zone, other dzos alway tell him or her to be able to do everything. Jon is a videographer, instructor, tandem master, master rigger, commercial pilot, and now A&P mechanic. He has to be all these things because these skills are rare and expensive to hire. By being able to do everything, other people can't as easily hold our business hostage because we desperately need something done. Jon's next tasks are to get his multiengine pilot's license (so he can fly the King Air), and his instrument rating. He has more ratings than an overzealolus girl scout has badges. Which is cool; I'm very proud of him. If he wants to do something he sets out and gets it done.

No comments: