Thursday, March 17, 2005

Some books list Week 26 as the start of the third trimester, some list week 27. I'm going to pretend it's week 28, simply because I now have only 3 lunar months left. Woo-hoo! 12 Weeks!

I forgot to mention Steve, another skydiving friend, also helped Jon and Jeff set up the baby's room. Steve holds the distinction of having to go to the hospital from the dz because of a non-skydiving problem - kidney stones. (One other person had to go to the emergency room once because she was drunk and fell and managed to cut her hand up pretty good but I consider that to be nominally skydiving related).

Anyways, I followed the guy taking Steve to the emergency room so he could go back to the DZ to jump. I sat with Steve, who was in tremendous amounts of pain. The nurses gave him an IV and something for the pain, so he was zoning in and out. In the meantime we listened to this old lady across the room who sounded like she was trying to cough up both her lungs. We waited. And waited. And waited.

Eventually Steve got up and passed a stone and started immediately feeling better. The doctor said he wanted him to have a CAT scan to make sure he didn't have any other stones forming. So we waited. And waited. And waited. And waited.

The Emergency room was getting filled up, and we heard the ER doc comment to the nurses that everyone had the flu(!). Steve was getting extremely restless, so he pulled out his IV, got dressed, and we casually strolled out of the ER. I didn't protest because I was all of a sudden really kicking myself for being pregnant and hanging around in an emergency room. I should have broken into the sharps container and played pick-up stiks with the used syringes; it would have been about as smart.

I'm not sure how I dodged that bullet; I was unable to get vaccinated this year and usually I attract bugs like a magnet goes after refrigerators. Of course, the season isn't over yet.

No comments: