Friday, January 28, 2005

I'm feeling much better than I have been all week. At times like this I don't get why things felt so awful. Jon and I are still going to go see a counselor, which is good. I am positive that the severity of my depression is progesterone poisoning, but we could use a little help in identifying the triggers of my little episodes. Plus, I have always wanted Jon to talk someone because he's unhappy (with things other than me) and is under a lot of stress for no good reason.

I re-named my blog "Naked Hysterical Screaming" not just because it's something that my favorite redhead once wrote, but because it so not me to behave that way. And now I have been. Well, not really naked, and no screaming. But definite hysterics, theatrics, and drama queenishness. Once I go into labor, that might change.

In other news, I finally found something to do on my long commute to work every morning: I'm brushing up on my Spanish. Hey, it might come in handy some day. Jon has always wanted to market Tandems to the hispanic populations near us (other drop zones have had success marketing to them) but we don't know any fluent spanish-speaking skydivers.

I took just enough linguistics in college to be fascinated by different languages, even though I don't know any. Spanish, like any language, has many words for the same thing. Like I was taught to say "¿Dónde esta el baño?" if I wanted a bathroom, but some places I see it listed as "¿Dónde esta los servicios?" with "servicios" meaning toilets. "Aseos", "excusados", and "inodoros" are other words for toilets. I'm betting some of those words are euphemistic or have more exacting definitions, like 'outhouse' or 'lavatory' - which incidentally I'm wondering if that word is related to the Spanish 'Lavar', to wash. Or what word is "duchar" (to shower) related to? I know always to look out for false cognitives; while I most definitely am "embarazada" that's not what you think it means.

I need to shell out for a really good Spanish-English dictionary (one geared towards Latin-American Spanish). As for "el baño" it should technically be "el cuarto de baño" (cuarto being room). And a bathtub is "bañera". "La bañera", to be exact.

Spanish nouns have gender. I can't find a reason (or a rhyme) for the patterns, but I'm sure there is one. For instance, it's "el baño" but "la bañera" (the bath, the bathtub), "el jabón" but "la jabonera" (the soap, the soapdish) and so on. Yes, my set of vocabulary words last week centered on things you have and can do in the bathroom. "Orinar" is the verb for urinate, "defecar" for the other function.

Yeah, I know, boring. I find it fascinating though. Excúseme, Necesito utilizar el cuarto de baño.

1 comment:

Helly said...

I have this theory that you can get by quite nicely in any country of the world if you can say just these 4 things in the native tongue: "I'd like a beer, please", "Where is the bathroom?", "You're an asshole!" and "Which way is the American consulate?" Thus far, research has supported the theory, although I'm curious about whether one really NEEDS the 4th, or if it would just follow naturally provided you repeat the first 3 often enough.