Friday, January 07, 2005

I hope I didn't scare ya too badly. Or at least not put you off your lunch. In Nancy's case, if I did, I'm just helping her make some money. Post *that* on your fridge for inspiration!

Like I said, I'm proud of that belly!

I have been reading other people's blogs about pregancy. I need to see if there are any out there from expecting fathers. Duh! I need to read Lileks' blog before Gnat was born.

Ahyhow, humans have spent soooo much time having children since we got out of the hominid stage; why is this process such a huge cause for hardcore opinions and conniption fits? You think we would have it down to an artform. My stupid little opinionated theory is because since the hominid stage we have such big heads that we just aren't completely evolved enough to handle birthing easily. Hey, don't give me crap about that. Everybody has kneecaps and a spine, and don't tell me we couldn't use a little redesigning in those areas! Not to mention wisdom teeth and appendixes.

So having a kid hurts; having a kid wreaks havoc on any woman's body no matter how young, healthy, and fit she is. So I'm not going to get all hot and bothered by any woman who wants to circumnavigate 'natural' childbirth. Our huge noggins, while being a source of woman's discomfort, is also an evolutionary (or god-given, I'm not picky) plus in finding ways around long-term problems.

What I'm saying is that the fear, the sickness, the stress, and all that pain is natural in a normal, healthy pregnancy. I'm also saying that botulism is natural but I don't necessarily want that, either. I read one woman pillory other women who want to induce labor or get an elective caesarian. I won't go that far - I'll only get a caesarian if the doc thinks it's necessary. But I sure as *hell* am going to get an epidural if at all possible! But I'm not going to get all self-righteous towards those women. There are consequences to our actions and we will pay for them.

And I have pretty much decided on bottle feeding. I am going to go back to work; Jon will be taking care of junior in the day during the week so we need to go ahead and tag-team. I want what's best for the child but everything is a series of compromises. If I took no other factors into account, the best thing for the kid would be for me to quit my job and for Jon to quit the drop zone and to get a full-time engineering job so I could stay at home and take care of the child full time. Be real; that's not going to happen and ultimately I think both of us would be misearable. In the long run I'm thinking Mini-Jon would grow up happier this way; with a father who is more involved in his life. Hell, it's working for Lileks. We shall see.

Am I rambling today! More rambles: went to Dr. Krishna's for a follow- up. I was doing fine until Thursday and that concerned him: I have no signs or symptoms of a respitory infection of any sort despite all the congestion. Every thing I hack up is white; I have no redness or swelling in my sinuses, ears or throat. He suspects my lapse back on Thursday was because I am no longer using Prednisone - an oral steroid (or corticosteroid) which was prescribed to me by the emergency room doctor to kick-start the inhaled corticosteroid I'm taking for athsma - Pulmicort. He gave me a small prescription for more Prednisone basically to keep me breathing to give the Pulmicort more time to be effective. Corticosteroids are produced by the body to reduce inflammation, by the way.

I started today okay - then went on a coughing binge (which induced a round of puking. BLAH!) just before work along with an athsma bout; but right now I'm doing fine. I slept on the couch so I could sleep with my head propped up and I slept well. Jon is really concerned about me and the baby and wants to go with me the next time I see the doc (Tuesday).

1 comment:

Anonymous Me said...

Right, I've just added "Don't get pregnant" to my list of dieting rules.