Wednesday, December 22, 2004

I didn't completely understand, but a woman called me from UAB's genetics clinic with good news: one of the preliminary tests they did was for Down's Syndrome, and it was negative (98% accuracy). Great! I'll feel much better though when I hear the full report.

The Name Game has started, and Jon was browsing earlier this morning and came up with a few he liked. Here are the A - D contenders:

Alden (Middle, Old English) (antique, old, wise protector, old friend) Alden's kind of nice. Not sure what his nickname would be for this one. Maybe I'll be cruel and refer to him as "Mugwump", which was my dad's nickname for me.

Alder (Middle, Old English) (birch tree, revered one) Nah.

Anakin (American) (Warrior) Our kid would axe-murder us.

Archer (Teutonic) (the archer) I like, but we have a friend whose son is named Archer. *Heh*. Hey Alan should name his kid Archer.

Arron I like Aaron. I'm not big on common names spelled differently. It just makes it a pain in the butt when you're trying to get a driver's license. My middle name is "Linn" and I'm tired of people spelling it with a y.

Austin or Auston I like Austin, though the "yeah, baby yeah!" jokes will get old.

Ashton I told Jon that a popular actor's name was Ashton so it's not a good idea. On the other hand, his nickname would be Ash, and I think that's a groovy name! Email me if you don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Brent (Old English) (fiery hill, steep hill)
Meh.

Jonathan Yep, I like this one. Jonathan Edward Maynard. Like it a lot.

Connor (Celtic/Gaelic) (Much wanted) I like Connor, but it reminds me a lot of Angel's twerpy son. How about Spike?

Cullen (Celtic) (young animal, handsome) Meh.

Dalton (Old English) (valley farm) Double Meh.

Darwin (Old English) (beloved friend) Too much association with the Theory of Evolution. He'd never hear the end of the Darwinism jokes.

Dashiell (French) (Page Boy) Jon mentioned this one after seeing The Incredibles. I am all for naming our kid after a Pixar character. "Dash" is an amusing nickname, anyway. How about "Nemo"? "Buzz"? or "Woody"? Okay, maybe not the last one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alan says - Funny.. Archer Bowman. Uh, no. The scary thing to me would be how many people *wouldn't* get it.