Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Yesterday was pretty bad. I was sleepy beyond any belief. It was so bad I drove home early from work and crashed on the Gravity Couch for a couple of hours. I refer to my couch in such a matter because I'm convinced the gravity is heavier on its cushions. Why else would people who sit on it eventually be pulled into a prone position? To prove my point, Big Fat Kitty came by to see if he could bug me for some pets. He crashed next to me. Then Jon came by to see if he could bug me for some pets. He crashed next to me, as well.

We got up eventually, and went to dinner at Roadhouse. Well, Kitty stayed home but I bet he would have liked the restaurant. We ended up at the theater to finally watch The Incredibles. In short, Pixar is 6 for 6.

Pixar has always been a creative studio; they really took a right turn here in terms of animation and story with the Incredibles, although they still managed to keep that melancholy but upbeat edge to their themes (fear of replacement in Toy Story, fear of loss in Finding Nemo, the tyranny of bullies in A Bug's Life, fear of the strange in Monsters, Inc). Here the theme *is* incredible for this day and age: societies' habit of beating down the extraordinary and the celebration of mediocrity (if everyone's special, then no one is).

The story concerns super heroes who have been put out of business because of lawsuits; it concerns 2 superheroes especially: Mr. Incredible and Elasti-girl. They have married and are living a quiet suburban life with their three children, also gifted with superhero powers but having to live normally. Mr. Incredible is slowly being crushed by a thankless job at an insurance company and he longs to be the hero he once was. Then an opportunity presents itself but it turns into a trap and the rest of the family has to discover (or re-discover) their abilities to go rescue dad. I really don't want to say more.

I'd rank this as up there with the Toy Story movies; as far as this year goes, I still like Spider Man II better but it blows everything else that I've seen this year out of the water.

Jon made the mistake of playing Galaga with me at the theater while we were waiting for the movie to start. I kicked ass at Galaga when I was in college. I still do pretty good.

No comments: