Monday, July 12, 2004

Ouch. Busy weekend. I had a ground school Saturday morning with 4 people. 3 of them reinforced my opinion that people who only want to do one skydive need to do tandems.

One was an 18 year old kid. He did fine, but all he wanted to do was one. That fact was merely annoying. His mother, however, was terrified but didn't back down and jumped. She panicked at pull time so I pulled for her. Despite the fact that she had an open and functioning main parachute, she cut it away and went to her reserve. When she landed (and her canopy flying was giving Frank and I heart attacks every time she did a turn), she told me that she cut away because she didn't find the main handle. Apparently she never looked *up*.

I was angry, but I didn't show it to her. I went and calmed down and ended up feeling real sorry for her. She knows she screwed up. She had a terrible time. If she had done a tandem instead, I think she would have had a much nicer time.

The last guy was pretty hard core. He came back Sunday and did 6 more jumps. He is exactly the type of person who should go through AFF - he wants to be a skydiver and the dives I did with him were a lot of fun.

All total I did 10 jumps; 9 AFF. The 10th was a jump with Jeff, a jumper who I've been friends with a long time (since I had about 100 jumps). We met at West Tennessee during a boogie (a skydiver party). He has his tandem rating; he is working on getting his AFF rating so I'm jumping with him to help him with his air skills.

I managed to procure a video tape of a BBC movie: Warriors, about British troops on a United Nations mission in Bosnia in 1992. Why the Hell would you send troops somewhere then tie their hands like that? You might as well not send troops at all. Look. Either be imerialist pigs, or stay away completely. Argh!

Anyways, I'm about halfway through. The British troops have strict rules of engagement. They can't take sides, so they get to sit there and watch people slaughter other people.

I bought it because my imaginary boyfriend, Damian Lewis is in it. I'm glad there's more to this movie than the pretty scenery.

No comments: