Thursday, July 15, 2004

Left work early yesterday to beat the fierce thunderstorms headed our way. Fortunately it never got too bad at home. I always seem to miss the really nasty stuff. Not that I'm complaining.

I did some channel-surfing yesterday. I got to watch part of World's most dumbass crooks caught on video and the sanctimonious cops who nabbed them. Depressing. I wanted to watch I Love the 90's but for some reason VH1 isn't transmitting any sound. I saw one of the more amusing South Park episodes; Chinpokoman. When the Japanese characters speak Japanese, they speak real Japanese, instead of John Belushi Japanese which is the norm.

I stopped when I saw Dazed and Confused on the Oxygen channel, a channel aimed at women. I wonder why they showed this - it's not exactly a woman's movie. Not that it's a man's movie. It's a movie for anyone who spent time as a kid/teenager in the 70's. I remember the first time I saw this I was living at home with my mom so she got to watch it too. She didn't find it nearly as funny as I, but then I suppose she appreciated American Grafitti far more than I did.

I'm amused that a movie could make me nostalgic about high school in the 70's: I had a rough time back then, especially the first few years after our family moved back from Puerto Rico. But still: the laxness of purchasing alcohol (18 was the legal drinking age back then), the casual attitude towards pot, the ugly clothes and hairstyles, and the beautiful muscle cars. *Sigh*. Then there's the music. Not a big fan of that era of music, but it does evoke memories.

The best part of the movie to me is Big Hair Ben Affleck. He plays a monumental jerk. It's also the first movie I saw Matthew McConaughey in. It also has Milla Jovovich as a Senior harpy, and she does a good job! I usually thinks she overacts but she's dead-on as a royal high school bitch. Maybe she just needs to stay away from Luc Besson.

One thing I did notice is I have become totally irritated by commercials. I'm not against commercials; they pay the bills for the broadcasters after all. Buy anyway I wandered off for 30 minutes after the first commercial break, rewound TiVo, and managed to fast forward through any commercials after that. Far more satisfying.

No comments: