Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Jon is in the process of taking the test for his commercial pilot's license. If he gets it, that means he can legally ferry passengers for money. Needless to say, mister stressboy has had all his needles pegged in the red for the last week or so.

We did watch 2 eps of 24 last night; you know, nekkid Keifer might normally be interesting, but not when someone is applying ) scalpels, b) soldering irons, c) and tasers to said nekkid flesh. Those scenes were *not* pleasant to watch. And those White House bastards locked Ensign Ro in a supply closet! Heads will roll when Jack proves to be right once again.

Endymion is quite good. I recommend the whole series; just don't ask me to explain what it's about. I hate it when someone asks me what a book is about when I'm reading sometimes. I couldn't sum up these books in less than a thousand pages.

It has been a while since I have read anything Dan Simmons has written; he caught my attention with a short story whose title I have forgotten (Dying in Bangkok? Behold, the power of the Web: his site confirms it). It was about a soldier during Vietnam on leave and a vampire-ish monster who, because of her method of sucking blood, had victims literally lined up around the block. I remember it managed to be quite clinical and erotic at the same time. Anyway, I read Carrion Comfort and Song of Kali soon after that. Song of Kali is set to become a movie as is Hyperion. I doubt either will happen.

Nancy's husband, Mark, sent me this great link:The bad review revue. Ha, nothing rouses and inspires the poet in a critic more than a crappy movie!

P.S. I'm glad you're okay, Nancy. Sorry about your Saturn. I'm very happy with mine and glad I didn't buy that SUV I was looking at 5 years ago.

Here's another link: The Ruthless Guide to 80's Action. This page has reviews of 80's action movies. They spend a lot of time going over the homoerotic subtexts of a lot of these movies (scroll down to the photos of Jean-Claude Van Damme, Chuck Norris, and Dolph Lundgren for a great laugh). They love Commando as much as I do. I haven't fully explored this site, so Caveat Emptor.

So besides two links o' the day, I also bring you a word o' the day:

prevaricate
SYLLABICATION: pre·var·i·cate
INTRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: pre·var·i·cat·ed, pre·var·i·cat·ing, pre·var·i·cates
To stray from or evade the truth; equivocate.
ETYMOLOGY: Latin praevricr, praevrict- : prae-, pre- + vricre, to straddle (from vricus, straddling, from vrus, bent).


I was reading an interview with my favorite redhead and he used this word. Mmmmmm, I just love it when a man talks wordy!

No comments: