Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Jon has a few things he has to do before he gets his commercial pilot's license. He's kind of peeved about that. But while he was in town (Madison), he and I went to the Sushi Boat restaraunt. Pretty nifty; you sit at this bar where these little wooden boats circle around with different plates of sushi and other Japanese foodstuffs. You grab what you want and when you are done the waitress totals your bill by how many little plates are in front of you. I can pack away some sushi; at $1.50 a plate Jon and I racked up a considerable bill.

There was this one dish that kept circling around and around; it looked like barbequed baby octopus. I dared Jon to try it; told him if he ate one, I'd eat the other but he wasn't feeling too adventurous. That's what's neat about Japanese food - it looks so tasty and disgusting at the same time.

We finished season 2 of 24 last night. I really liked the first half of the season but the second half kind of lost steam. At least Mrs. Palmer showed up again. Things are always interesting when she's poking around, stirring up trouble. I guess Tony and Michelle are an item now since they had a little smooching session a while back. And Chapelle - could they have cast a more toady looking actor for that part? He just begs to be kicked in the nuts.

But now what am I going to watch? Season 3 just finished up. No word on when it's due on DVD. I've been meaning to watch Stargate SG-1 but I know Jon won't go for a science fiction show. Bugger.

A word of explanation about the photos below. I remember an old episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 where Joel and the 'bots were discussing the lame props in a cheapo fantasy movie. Joel mentioned how if you gave things cool names, they didn't seem so lame. Like the Shimmering Shield of Surrender, Flaming Wand of Fiery Death and shit like that. Look, if you have never watched an episode of MST3K you are culturally deprived. I hear Netflix has a few on DVD...

No comments: