Friday, April 23, 2004

Oh, yeah. Just read Nancy's blog and couldn't resist:

If I ever have a kid I'll have to figure out what to do about it. If I ever need it there's no point in having them locked up and unloaded but I would not like to have my kid accidentally blow his (or my) brains out. I always hear stories about kids playing with guns. My dad owned (owns?) an arsenal, and out of his five kids, none of us ever played with the weapons. Dad never hit us (that was mom's job), so I have to think it was because from an early age we were trained in handgun safety (and I mean early! I remember shooting my dad's .357 when I was 5). I was, at least, intensely aware of what that gun could do to a watermelon (heh heh. Kewl!).

Statistics are funny things, of course. I dug around a bit; in the 0-14 year old category, in 2000 943 kids died in accidental drownings, and in 1995 (I tried to find 2000 stats) 250 died in accidental handgun deaths. I'm not about to brick over my pool, so STAY AWAY! I'M A MADMAN, I TELL YOU! MY POOL IS FULL OF WATER!! Damn kids.

Yes, there's a fence around our pool. The trouble with making anything foolproof is that fools are so ingenious. And that includes kids. If a kid breaks into our back yard and drowns, what do you think the parents are going to do to us? Maybe I should brick the damn thing up.

No comments: