Monday, April 05, 2004

The new Batman movie has started filming. Some photos have popped up on the web: go here especially if you are a Christian fan. No batsuit photos; just him being Bruce Wayne. And I have heard all the "Bateman" jokes I care to, thankyouverymuch.

Judging by his face, he isn't on one of his severe body-altering diets.

I watched The Patriot last night, with ex-listee Mel Gibson and very much a listee Jason Isaacs (as the Evil Bad Guy). There's some pretty scenery in this movie, and some random acts of violence, but I could have done without all the cliches. This is one of those movies that I would have liked to have played script doctor on. Why make the Evil Bad Guy such a cartoon? Couldn't he and Gibson's Benjamin Martin come to be antagonists simply because they were on different sides? Why the snidely whiplash behavior (burns the house, shoots wounded Colonial soldiers AND one of Martin's sons)? The movie also had
Tchéky Karyo, a french actor whose name I can't pronounce but can always count on for an interesting character. And Chris Cooper (always interesting characters, far more pronouncable name).

Bundling, by the way, is a real custom.

Why oh why is there mention of Orlando Bloom and James Bond in the same sentence? Clive Owen and Colin Firth at least have that generic handsome British man thing going for them. Bloom is a puppy! Great elves do not make great James Bonds. Hell, Hugh Jackman rumors make more sense to me.

I've mentioned this before; when I become smitten by an actor, I do research on the web. I try to tell myself it's only to glean info on his movies, but that's partially horseshit. I do have a interest in the person himself. For the most part, I research then I leave. Occasionally though I find a fairly interesting fan community. Jason Isaacs is one of my favorite and the only one that I'm an active member of. I dig the people on the message board. Mostly older women but occasionally younger; they refer to themselves sometimes as a 'sewing circle'. There are topics that are strictly prohibited, especially any sexual in nature (although posts about how 'hot' a character or the actor himself are okay as long as they don't go into masturbatory detail). And if you want to be tarred and feathered, then run out on a rail, constantly use bad grammar and insult Mr. Isaac's family.

He occasionally reads the message boards, too. I'm sure it's a bit mind-bending and an ego rush to visit a community based around you.

I'm not active, but I subscribe to a fan mailing list for Damian Lewis. I stay subscribed because their community is a hoot, as well. Again, I'm struck by the older nature of the fans (the photo section has one area where fans post pictures of themselves with the actor) which is surprising because Lewis is in his early 30's (I want to say 32). There isn't so much self-regulating censorship here, but it hasn't really been needed that I've seen. People are more open about their feelings towards the actor (they refer to themselves as 'gutter bunnies' and once sent Lewis a huge boxful of ladies' underwear) but no one gets gross and I have yet to see a flame war erupt. I have been kept in stitches by all the stories of women whose husbands are curious about their sudden interest in World War II.

I have never met any celebrity beyond the occasional local news personality. I have seen some - when the Braves all of a sudden learned how to play baseball in the early 90's Fulton County stadium was crawling with them. Emilio Esteves was in town filming Freejack and he and his brother Charlie Sheen showed up once when the Cardinals (or was it the Reds?) were in town. My sister Andrea jabbed me in the ribs with an elbow when Sheen skulked past our seats wearing sunglasses and a ballcap. She whispered excitedly "Hey! That's Charlie Sheen!!" My thoughts were, "so?" Not impressed.

The late Gregory Hines came to a ballgame and he smiled and waved at people who were pointing at him. He was cool.

Arnold Swarzenneger and wife came to the stadium once. 6 foot 3 inch John Smoltz walked up to him and shook his hand; I was struck by how *short* arnold is. I'd put him somewhere between 5'6" and 5'8".

But anyway, I'm leading up to a point: would I want to ever meet an actor I admire/love/drool over? No; what if he was in a bad mood or something? I'm such a wuss. Well, if I ever could, I'd buy Bill Paxton a beer. He's such a hoot.

No comments: