Friday, March 12, 2004

Eeeyarg. I'd say something stoopid like thank Mannanan MacLlyr it's Friday, but I have a ground school to teach at the drop zone tomorrow morning. Ah, well, it's money; and it will help me forget about food.

I'm not having cravings yet, but I'm definitely feeling hunger more. My Shoulders and Legs workout went fine; matter of fact I felt pretty strong on my Squats and Stiff-Legged Deadlifts.

I woke up a little tired; I did not sleep as deeply as I would have liked. I also got to bed late because hubby and I stayed up to watch Planet of the Apes, Tim Burton's version.

I didn't like it. The ape makeup was good, and I liked the cast. Not only did we get Marky Mark, Helena Bonham-Carter and Micheal Clarke Duncan, I was delighted to see Paul Giamatti, David Warner, and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa listed in the cast. And ex-listee Tim Roth as the Evil Bad Guy. Monkey. Ape. Whatever. I had to go by voices to figure out who was who.

The ending just sucked and the script felt like it was being made up as they were going along. Some of the ape roled were developed but the humans were pretty one-dimensional. Speaking of apes, Helena Bonham-Carter's Chimp was a hoot. She played a human-rights spoiled daughter of a senator; but she had the hots for Mark Wahlberg. Of course, I was smirking and making bestiality jokes; but is love among intelligent, adult, consentual species so wrong? Still, I kept expecting her to pinch his butt.

Which brings me to another complaint about the movie. In the original Chuck Heston paraded around in a loincloth the vast majority of the film (Mr. Heston had a cameo here, as Tim Roth's dad. My favorite scene). Marky Mark stays fully clothed, and I have seen his nekkid bod and he has nothing to be ashamed of. I want to pinch his butt.

And to natter about other movie news, the new Batman movie is actually filming, which is great news. Getting past preproduction is sometimes the biggest hurdle. And the casting news is great; besides Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman, and Cillian Murphy, they have hired Wanatabe Ken to play the bad guy. Also, rumor has it that Listee Guy Pearce will make an appearance as Harvey Dent. Ooooo! I just love it when I get 2 Listees for the price of one! Harvey Dent eventually becomes the villain Two-Face, played by Tommy Lee Jones in one of the previous batman films. Two-Face is actually a compelling villain; he wakes up every morning and flips a coin to figure out if he's going to be evil or good that day. Jones's Two-Face just sucked, however.

Since Christopher Nolan seems to be receiving my telepathic messages, how about casting Ewan MacGregor as the Joker? Man, I wish I could post photos. He has that predatory grin. How about my beloved flame-headed Damian Lewis as the Riddler? Frank Gorshin was the tops here, and Jim Carrey blew chunks, but still. Can't think of whom Ralph Fiennes could play but I'm sure you could find him something to do!

No comments: