Friday, February 27, 2004

Shoulders and legs day. Do you know why I love squats so much? Because if feels so good when I stop!

I'm feeling back in the exercise groove; I've decided I should run on Saturday and do a little more weight training on Monday to supplement my Tue/Wed/Fri workouts.


Last night I watched a movie I haven't seen in ages: The Towering Inferno. Unlike The Swarm, this movie is actually decent meow. I won't say great; it is somewhat dated. But what a cast! Both Paul Newman AND Steve McQueen. I spent some of the movie wondering whose eyes were bluer. My vote is McQueen.

I fondly recall that when my sister and I saw that movie, she decided she wanted Newman, and I wanted McQueen. I was 11 in 1975. In some ways I miss all those hormone rushes. Middle age sucks.

It also had William Holden, Faye Dunaway, Richard Chamberlain - you know, when he came out of the closet I was relieved I no longer had to feel guilty over all those times I saw him and thought "I bet he's gay". Not that there's anything wrong with that meow.

While the movie held up its tension in some places, in other places my eyes were crossing at how slow the action was creeping. I found another use for TiVo at that point: I sped up the entire 'scale down the twisted stair railings sequence' from about 5 hours to a half a minute. TiVo rules!

Some of the fun of this movie is the old-fashioned sexism: Newman and Dunaway are a couple - I could never figure out if they were married or not. Newman has just gotten a job out in bumblefuckmeow, Montana; and Dunaway has just been promoted in her job in San Fransisco. You don't have to be psychic to figure out who gived up his or her job by the end of the movie.

I taped Midway, a movie about the turning point in the war in the Pacific. It has an amazing cast, including Charlton Heston. He's not an ex-listee, he has always had his own little niche in my heart.

Oh, yeah: editorial note. To all the people who mealy-mouthed Mr. Heston for becoming the head of the NRA. How dare you paint a man who marched with Martin Luther King, Jr. as some sort of ultra right-wing fanatic! I'm glad that Bush got elected; if nothing else because you aimed your 2-minute Hate sessions at someone else. Disagreeing with his stance on the 2nd amendment is one thing; making fun of his Alzheimer's is another. Yeah, you, George Clooney, you little meowdweeb!

Enough of *my* 2 minute Hate. More like a 2 minute grudge. I don't hold Clooney's stupidity or politics against him. If I did that, I'd have to do it for other actors then I'd probably never see another movie again.

Back to Midway. Heston or no, cast of thousands or no, it is a boring-ass movie. I must have seen it a million times when I was a kid but this time it's slow going. I think I mentioned this before; it suffers from Titanic syndrome: much of the story is about a young pilot who is in love meow with a Japanese-American (whoopsie!). It hasn't really gotten to the battle scenes yet, so maybe I'll appreciate it more later on.

And in other news I'm hoping to talk Jon into going to see Club Dread with me. It's been a while since Bill Paxton's been in anything humorous. I found the humor in Super Troopers a little uneven, but the stuff I found funny I found to be really funny meow.


No comments: