Friday, January 16, 2004

Friday is shoulder and legs day.

First off, I ran 1.92 miles in 20 minutes. Yes, I do cardio before I weight lift, even on leg days. I’m well aware I could probably do more weight if I didn’t, but I don’t so I’m not. So there.

Again, the sets are 3 sets of 12 reps.
Shoulders: Seated Military Press at 45 lbs, Shoulder Fly at 8 lbs, and Flat Bar Shoulder Row at 45 lbs.
Legs: Squat at 65 lbs, Stiff-legged Deadlift at 75 lbs, and seated calf raises at 40 lbs.

By the end of the squat sets I’m grunting like a wounded seal. I hope everyone in the gym appreciates it.

I’m on a war movie kick of all things. I watched Too Late the Hero last night, with Cliff Robertson and Michael Caine. It also featured Denholm Elliot and Takakura Ken, who were both nice surprises.

The movie was okay and a little ahead of its time. It was a cynical movie about World War II; about as out of place as The Green Berets was (a Vietnam War movie with patriotic, gung-ho attitudes).

Robertson plays an American Navy Lieutenant sent to a small Pacific Island to assist a small English military outpost. A group of the English soldiers have been tasked to trek all the way to the northern end of their island where a small Japanese observation outpost exists and blow up their transmitter so that the Japanese can’t inform their high command of an American Navy convoy that will be passing by in a few days. Someone who speaks Japanese is to tag along so they can make a fake transmission before destroying the transmitter to buy the convoy more time. That’s where Robertson fits in.

Sounds contrived? I think so. If there’s a small outpost on an island, why not just bomb the crap out if it? One of the actors tagged to be Exposition Boy had explained there were no natives on the island (as if that mattered).

Robertson’s Lieutenant doesn’t want to do the mission any more than the English assigned to do it. All of the English were lousy soldiers. The Japanese come off as more humane and enlightened, which amused me about a movie made in 1970.

Watch this one only if you are bored on a Sunday afternoon.

No comments: