Monday, November 10, 2003

History is kind of finished, overexcessive pontificating and obsessive number crunching ahoy:

I started this diet on Sunday, November the 2nd. Today I weighed in at 133.5 and 29% body fat. I averaged about 1332 calories a day.

What does it mean? Not a doggone thing, yet, because it's just one week. I will need another week to do more comparisons. Note the rapid weight loss in the beginning of the week(I weighed 137): most of this is water loss. Remember rule 5.e about glycogen: my stores are depleted. My body has switched over to fat burning (ketosis) which I know because of those little strips of paper I pee on.

This phenomena also tends to increase your body fat percentage. Remember, that which is not fat is everything else which includes the water your body retains. Less water, bigger ratio of fat. No big deal! More weeks, more data, and the more I can make better and better estimates on how much I need to eat a week to lose one pound a week. The aggravating thing will be that the more I lose, the less I will need to eat to maintain the one pound a week weight loss.

Oh: more boring fun. remember 2.e Fat/Carbohydrate/Protein ratios:65/5/30. When I do the math on the averages (I won't bore you further with the calculations) it came out to be 1332 cal (avg) 709 cal fat, 128 cal (Carbohydrates) 495 cal protein (each gram of fat=9 cal, carb=4 cal, protein=4 cal).
So my ratio was 53/10/37. I'm fine with that. I'm in ketosis with the amount of carbs I'm eating and I really do want to eat 1 gram of protein per gram of body weight. No, my kidneys are fine!

Since my gym partner is a man (sexism ahoy), my gym workouts tended to have concentrated on the upper body. I have tried to increase the amount of leg work I do. I cut out leg presses and do honest to goodness butt-to-hamstring squats. I'm thinking of adding a deadlift, but I'm not quite ready for it.

I also want to replace Lat Pulldowns with chin-ups. Like most girly-girls, I have a tough time with them. But I can do 2 in a row. I think I'll switch to a gravitron eventually (another machine). I'd also like to put a tricep exercise in that requires a barbell or dumbells. FYI, when I do situps or back hyperextensions, I increase weight, not reps. Why on earth would I want to do 100 of them? Bleah! Easier to do 15-20 and increase weight when it gets easy.

When I start to try to gain weight, I will periodize (see Krista). For right now, I simply want to get back into the groove (after a massive 3 week layoff) and focus on form. Especially squats, which is the greatest exercise on the earth. I have only been doing real squats for the last 3 months, and it made a phenomenal change in my legs. They still look chunky but thats the body fat.

No comments: