Left work early yesterday to beat the fierce thunderstorms headed our way. Fortunately it never got too bad at home. I always seem to miss the really nasty stuff. Not that I'm complaining.
I did some channel-surfing yesterday. I got to watch part of World's most dumbass crooks caught on video and the sanctimonious cops who nabbed them. Depressing. I wanted to watch I Love the 90's but for some reason VH1 isn't transmitting any sound. I saw one of the more amusing South Park episodes; Chinpokoman. When the Japanese characters speak Japanese, they speak real Japanese, instead of John Belushi Japanese which is the norm.
I stopped when I saw Dazed and Confused on the Oxygen channel, a channel aimed at women. I wonder why they showed this - it's not exactly a woman's movie. Not that it's a man's movie. It's a movie for anyone who spent time as a kid/teenager in the 70's. I remember the first time I saw this I was living at home with my mom so she got to watch it too. She didn't find it nearly as funny as I, but then I suppose she appreciated American Grafitti far more than I did.
I'm amused that a movie could make me nostalgic about high school in the 70's: I had a rough time back then, especially the first few years after our family moved back from Puerto Rico. But still: the laxness of purchasing alcohol (18 was the legal drinking age back then), the casual attitude towards pot, the ugly clothes and hairstyles, and the beautiful muscle cars. *Sigh*. Then there's the music. Not a big fan of that era of music, but it does evoke memories.
The best part of the movie to me is Big Hair Ben Affleck. He plays a monumental jerk. It's also the first movie I saw Matthew McConaughey in. It also has Milla Jovovich as a Senior harpy, and she does a good job! I usually thinks she overacts but she's dead-on as a royal high school bitch. Maybe she just needs to stay away from Luc Besson.
One thing I did notice is I have become totally irritated by commercials. I'm not against commercials; they pay the bills for the broadcasters after all. Buy anyway I wandered off for 30 minutes after the first commercial break, rewound TiVo, and managed to fast forward through any commercials after that. Far more satisfying.
Getting Things Organized
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment